Part 1: Nigel explores historic Fergus and is greeted by the Fergus Pipe Band.
Originally Fergus was known as Little Falls, because of the scenic waterfalls in the centre of the village.
Scottish settlers began arriving in Fergus in 1833. They soon established a vibrant economy, using the waterfalls on the Grand River as power for local industry. The town is noted for its solid stone houses, factories and other buildings. Many of the houses and factories built by the early settlers are still in use and are part of an interesting walking tour.
HOW TO GET THERE
From the intersection of Hwy 400/401 head west on Hwy 401 about 50 km to Exit 312 Guelph Line/Regional Road 1 in Milton. Head north for about 15 km to Hwy 7, turn left (west) for about 2 km and then turn right (north again) onto Wellington Road 29 for about 20 km. At Wellington Road 18 turn left (west) and follow as it becomes Belsyde Avenue East. At Scotland Street turn right, over the bridge and into town. The main street is St Andrew on the left.
CHECK THEIR WEBSITE FOR OPENING TIMES, WALKING TOURS AND OTHER DETAILS:
At the Fergus Scottish Festival and Highland Games, Nigel watches really strong men toss rocks and cabers around with abandon, except it’s all deadly serious competition.
On a more tuneful note, Nigel checks out the Highland Dancing, traditional activities and the massed pipes and drums in a stirring finale.
Caber tossing originated with Scottish lumberjacks throwing entire tree trunks into rivers to be floated down stream.
The Scottish Festival was started in 1945 by troops returning home to Fergus from World War II. In spite of drenching rain, the Festival was held again the following year, and every year since. The Highland Games component has grown from a one-day to a three-day event.
HOW TO GET THERE
The Fergus Scottish Festival and Highland Games is located at:
Wellington Community Sportplex, 550 Belsyde Avenue East, Fergus
From the intersection of Hwy 401/Hwy 400 head west on Hwy 401 approx 54 km to Milton Exit 312/Guelph Line/Regional Road 1. Head north for approx 42 km to Fergus. At the Eramosa/Milton Townline it becomes Wellington Road 44. At Hwy 7 turn left (west) for a short distance to Wellington Road 29, turn right (north) and follow to T-intersection with Wellington Road 18. Turn left (west) as road becomes Belsyde Avenue East. Destination is on the left (south).
CHECK THEIR WEBSITE FOR FESTIVAL OPENING TIMES, EVENTS AND OTHER DETAILS: